Friday, March 17, 2006

Homosexuality

I distinctly remember my first trip to my favourite city, Bombay, in 1999. Many episodes of the trip makes it most memorable for me; and also the most disturbing. Luckily for me, at the age of 16 years I was hardly aware of the phenomenon known as homosexuality. However I have vague memories of expressing doubts as to why marriages only happen between people of opposite sex, the answer was always evaded in an obvious manner. Moving on to the Bombay episode, while returning in train a man kissed me. It felt gross - no doubt, but only because he was a stranger and not a good looking girl I would fantasize about. It took me a good one years time to realize what exactly had happened that night in the train.

Trust me this was not to be the only gay advance on me. There were three more, all in trains. And unlike the first guy these weren't so subtle or prudish. But thanks to the hostel life I was mentally strong enough to not get freaked out by these advances. In some ways it was flattering to know that I was being hit upon (maybe not by the sex of my choice but anyway...).

I am yet to interact in a positive manner with a homosexual. To start with, it's tough to find one in a closed society like our's. Also, assuming that atleast 1.5% of males are reported to be homosexual worldwide it's safe to rule out the non-existence of gays in IIT UGs. In a place where students are supposed to be most progressive, it's surprising that I am yet to meet any gay. Ofcourse I have heard of people being gay and have myself doubted a couple to be gay, nothing conclusive can said about their sexual preferences.

I am left with much doubt about various issues (specially the mentallity) concerning gays. Ramanujan's biography cited examples of some of the famous homosexual intellectuals who played key roles in Britain, early in the last century. The Apostles, the most famous secret society of Cambridge is known to house a large number of gays including Keynes, Hardy et al. Over the years I have been hugely successful in understanding a large number wholly concentrating on their sexual sphere; much like Freud. Would be an interesting exercise to interact (consciously) with homosexuals.

Lesbianism: I need to conduct a little bit of research on this topic. A brief survey conducted by me leads to me conclusion that all women have traces of homosexual instincts. Wow!!! Isn't it? :D

BTW, if any gay IITian is reading my blog please do get in touch with me. I promise your privacy (if needed).

3 Comments:

Blogger Roy said...

sale...is this all you think about these days? khushi se passout kar ja...waise i have my doubts about my orientation, but u already know that!

11:46 AM  
Blogger Kag said...

What exactly are you looking when you say "interact in a postive manner"? I could help you out if you need something specific.

I'd not like to do so in the blog scrap way though...

11:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Homsexuality. Yes, it is such a taboo in India. Did you watch Brokeback mountain?
Its great that you are even open minded enough to think about it and willing to know more about rather than being utterly uninterested.
I would say that when you love soemone then perhaps gender should not matter. Perhaps bisexuality is indicative of being very egalitarian and non-sexist. It is about treating people as people and not as men or women.

9:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home